Growing up as an only child, I learned early on to be independent. I learned to be comfortable doing things on my own, and spending time with myself. As I got older, I craved that ME time more and more. When I left Hawaii to go to college in Oregon I had a ton of ME time on my hands and it was quite hard to transition back to living with family when I came back home.
While I absolutely adore spending time with my family and friends; I absolutely, 100% LOVE my time to myself and need to do something independently at least a few times a week. After taking some time for myself I feel rejuvenated as if the reset button were pressed; I feel focused and productive; I feel like I've learned new things about myself and developed more of who I am; I feel like I've had time to get lost in my thoughts and had time to think about different aspects of my life; I feel like I've had time to process situations in life and plan out a way to work through them; and most importantly, after taking care of me, I feel better when spending time with others.
Here are some of my favorite ways to enjoy my ME time, and take myself on a date.
1. Target - I mean, seriously guys, every girl takes herself to Target. I love getting lost in that store, and walking every single aisle. If I'm in the rush I'll usually do the main aisle around the store and then go to a specific area if I need to. Favorite aisles include: women's clearance, small gifts in the party section (can't I buy those for myself), and kitchen wares (oh, a case of the food blogger flu).
2. Starbucks - I could literally be here for hours at a time. Perfect place to plan out life, write blog posts, work on your online business, read a book, people watch - the list goes on!
3. Spa - Pretty self explanatory, right? It is always nice to take some me time to get pampered and get lost in your thoughts (or in a magazine). Pedicures, facials, waxing, massages. It's just nice to have someone do something for you, for a change!
4. Drive - Granted I have some pretty scenic views living in Hawaii, but I love to just take a drive and get lost in the music. It's a sure-fire way for me to clear my head and press that reset button. I'm one of those people who gets bummed out if I have to take someone somewhere when I was looking forward to one of those head clearing sessions. It's like when you have a craving and can't eat what you want. You don't stop thinking about it until you get it.
5. Farmer's Market - Much like Target, I love to just walk around a Farmer's Market and find all types of different goodies you don't usually find at a supermarket. I love scoring deals and trying new foods to tell everyone about. I'm definitely one of those people that like to shop on my own so that I can take my time and not feel like I have to rush for someone else.
How often do you take your ME time? What things do you like to do?